ASC IN FRANCE
French Language and Culture Summer Program Opportunity
Supported through the French Department at Agnes Scott College
The French Department at Agnes Scott College is proud to partner with the Universite de Caen in Caen, France for an excellent French Language and Culture program. Filled with intensive French language in the mornings (available at all levels), and a myriad of fascinating electives to choose from in the afternoons, students may enroll for this program for three or six weeks.
Students will have opportunity to take two classes at the University of Caen for three weeks (or continue for an additional three weeks for a total of four courses, if desired). Students take 45 hours French language, worth 3 credits, at the appropriate level every morning of written communication, grammar, vocabulary enrichment, and oral practice. Students can also participate in a 2-credit chosen elective course each afternoon for a total of 30 hours of lectures and site visits. Additional excursions may take place throughout the program.
Elective courses typically change slightly ever year. Past elective courses have included:
- Culture and Heritage - French culture including gastronomy, art and literature
- History - The Battle of Normandy (available in session 1 - Taught in French or English)
- History - Peace and Human Rights (available in session 2 - offered in French; B1 level of French minimum requirement)
- French as Foreign Language Didactics (available in session 1 - B1 level of French minimum requirement))
Language courses will be counted as equivalent to French 101, 102, 201, 202 or 230, depending upon placement. Applicable elective courses will count as 200-level courses for a French major or minor, or as French department elective. All courses must be reviewed by the French Department for credit and course level.
Read more about these electives in the program brochure HERE
*Note: Agnes Scott students are not permitted to take the "Leisure and Visits" course or the "Equestrian Normandy" course for credit
Session I: June 04 - June 24, 2020
Session II: June 30 - July 21, 2020
Below are costs for the three-week program. Costs are obviously higher for a six-week program.
- Program fee:
- French language only (45h/week): US $ 1,000 (include $150 administrative fee)
- French language + 1 afternoon track (75h/week): US $ 1,550 (include $150 administrative fee)
- Housing (university residence)**: €286 per session
- Housing (host family)**: €558 (includes 2 meals/day)
- Flights (Atlanta - Paris)*: US $1,600
- Personal expenses*: US $ 500
The program fee (tuition) will be invoiced by and paid to Agnes Scott College.
Once registered, you will receive by email a payment summary directly from the University of Caen. The payment for housing and the optional fee-paying DELF/DALF exams fees (according to your choices) will be required in full to the University of Caen by May 4, 2020
Please note that students are also responsible for making their own travel arrangements and payments for the international flights, as well as for ground transportation to the University of Caen.
Students can contact the University of Caen to make arrangements to be picked up from Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport (CDG), for a fee.
** No meals are included with the university residence housing. The estimated cost for a meal at the university cafeteria is €6. Prices are quoted in Euros as the amounts will fluctuate based on the exchange rate at the time you make the payment to the University of Caen.
For more information, please contact your study abroad advisor or the French Department Chair at Agnes Scott College.